To Prepare for the ASP Certification Exam, build a specific Certification Study Plan and study for this exam just as you would for any other important degree. To prepare a study plan, see the suggested resources and plans below, download the appropriate BOK Self-Assessment Workbook, and conduct a self-assessment to identify needed learnings and where to focus study efforts. If your focus is SMP, download the BOK Framework Overview to be able to see all 164 certification competencies upon which both exams are based, grouped into the four rubrics of Lead-Think-Plan-Act (LTPA). (In comparison, the Self-Assessment workbooks have the competency statements only for the stated focus level.) Your study plan might include some or all of the following:
- Review the BOK Framework
- Review the Sample Exam Questions below to gain familiarity with the kinds of questions for which to prepare.
- Review the Certification Terminology & Key Concepts Flashcards
- Consider attending ASP Registered Education Provider (REP) programs or purchasing their books and training materials to fill in learning needs. See the Qualified List of REPs webpage for details of webinars, workshops, books and materials, as well as certificate programs that can help with exam preparation.
- Prepare for the Examination by forming Chapter Study Groups using the Lead-Think-Plan-Act Framework. Have Chapter speakers and meetings focus on the Lead-Think-Plan-Act, and check with REPs for availability as speakers. Find a Chapter today!
- Use the PTC Testing Software Demo at http://www.ptcny.com/cbt/demo.htm to experience the features of the electronic testing software (without content).
To help with exam preparation, the following documents are available for complimentary download:
- ASP BOK Statements Summary
One page matrix showing the number of task statements for each competency area of Content, Process and Structure under the four rubrics of Lead-Think-Plan-Act (LTPA).
Body of Knowledge (BOK) Self-Assessment Workbooks
Sample Exam Questions
The ASP BOK is available free to ASP members and for purchase for ASP non-members.
You can also review ASP's Certification Terminology & Key Concepts Flashcards. They're available for purchase by visiting our online store here.
Please note, completion of the courses and/or study materials, while helpful, is not mandatory. Nor does completion guarantee a candidate will pass the exam. Rather, they are optional educational aids to help you prepare.